Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why I Run

This is my lovely edited blog post that I wrote for the News & Record. I had asked one of my friends to do her editing magic and this version is much cleaner so I thought it should at least be printed somewhere. Unfortunately, I had to turn in my first edition to the paper in order to stay on deadline. I'm still excited to see the other version show up in print, or at least virtual print. My friend, Elizabeth who edited told me I should expand this and call it Why I Run. So here goes. And a link to the one on the News & Record here.


I've been running off and on since college, but my first running memory is going to watch my mother win her age group at a 10K in Nashville, Tn. I got back into running five years ago, taking a year off during my pregnancy with twin daughters. Now I run to keep up with two 14-month-olds, to set a good example for them, and to help me stay sane on those days when Mommy doesn't get a "time out." The Virginia Beach Rock n' Roll Half Marathon is my fourth half marathon.

After having twin daughters, I wasn't sure if I could run once around the track, let alone run a 5K. That's how I felt when I originally signed up for the Janes on the Run Women's Running Network in January. It was the perfect way to get back into running with a step-by-step plan, along with the support of a running coach and other "Janes." Fast forward to September, and I've now completed one 5K, one 10K, and two half marathons since then. Oh, and let's not forget more than 400 training miles along the way.

Before Janes, I wasa solo runner. Occasionally, I might have gone out with my husband, but we didn't run at the same pace, so I would set out alone, pull down my running cap, listen to favorite songs on my iPod, and just go. I can remember seeing groups of runners talking, laughing, and having a good time. I would roll my eyes — who talks and runs?

Now I am one of those runners, and I can't imagine running without the camaraderie of my friends. My running partners are also working Moms with supportive husbands and busy schedules. Emily is a former cheerleader, and Maria is the best sourdough bread maker I know. I couldn't have chosen the more perfect two if I had tried. I'm still not sure what I bring to the mix — maybe it was my Garmin so I could keep up with our pace. We established a routine early on, meeting twice a week at 5:45 a.m., along with other Janes so we could beat the heat and run before our crazy schedules got in the way. Husbands handled breakfast for the kids, and we ran our weekly training runs, talking about whatever would come to mind. We would meet again on Saturdays with all the Janes for our long runs, enjoying each others’ company, cheering each other on when we needed motivation, laughing over stories of our children, grumbling under our breath up hills, and then collectively breathing a sigh of relief when we were on the downside.

At first, 16 weeks of training seemed a lifetime, but as the big day approached, the time seemed to have flown. I had never felt this prepared for a race before, and I owe it to maintaining a consistent training schedule thanks to my running buddies and the Janes. Short runs, long runs, hill workouts, a little trail running, a week of tapering, and I was finally ready for the big day. The day of the half marathon was nice with a bit of a breeze and what a great feeling to start the race with my friends. We posed for a few photos, adjusted our gear, and we were off. While we didn't cross the finish line together, we had come together as mothers, as friends, and as runners.

1 comment:

  1. Why am I teary?!? This is awesome. Thanks so much for putting into words what I never can.

    You bring a ton to our runs..NOT just the Garmin. For one thing, you are a HILL QUEEN and provide tons of motivation to get up them. I want to be as fast as you on the hills one day.

    P.s. I asked Liz about the Pace class... let me know if you want to know the cost. ;)

    ReplyDelete