Saturday, August 28, 2010

Last long run

Today was our last long run before the race. It's really hard to believe that we've been at it for almost 16 weeks of training. All in all, it has been a great training season with the exception of a hotter/more humid than normal summer. I can honestly say that I cannot wait to run this Fall and have it actually feel cold when we start. Sorry, Liz ... I know you would prefer 90 degrees year round! : )

Today was a unique run ... we were doing an out and back course from Tex & Shirley's. Why haven't we been doing this all summer long!? Probably because we would all be about 10 pounds heavier!

I felt good and had that feeling that I can only liken to a race-horse. Just a little antsy and really wanting to go. I probably went out too fast for the first 4 miles, but everything felt good and I was in a good groove early on. Even at 2 miles, I felt like I was in a good rhythm. We turned around, I took my gu chomps and we headed back with pancakes on the brain.

Definitely finding it a little harder to keep up with the "fasties", so I did slow up a little. But, my big surprise was that my average pace was 10 minutes a mile! I don't think I've ever run at that pace for that long of a distance, so at least I know I can do it, and feel OK. I definitely feel more comfortable at a slower pace, but it's always good to know that you can push it.

My big thing for race day. Don't push it too hard in the beginning. I really want to get to at least mile 8 to see how I feel. If I'm still feeling good, then I think I'll definitely try for a bit faster. Like my husband said, it may not be 100% comfortable, but I guess it's that whole pain makes you stronger kind of statement. We'll see! A nice, slow, chatty run always feels good to me.

Distance/Time:
8.04 miles / 1:20:32 ~ 10:00/mile pace

Fuel:
Pre-run: Sandwich thin with PB and 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of coffee, water
During: 1/2 pack Gu Chomps, water, sip of Gatorade at turnaround
Afterward ... 1/2 of a yummy "spanish" omelet and whole wheat toast

No comments:

Post a Comment