Sunday, August 16, 2009

Saturday, August 15

Our plan on Saturday was 12 miles. It just doesn't seem possible that we are already there.

It was a little overwhelming to think about the number, but also kind of exciting. I knew if we could do this distance on Saturday, then there was no doubt that we could do the half. Not that there really has been any doubt, but I really just want to be able to feel good during the race, have fun, and hopefully finish strong.

We were doing a 7 mile and then a 5 mile loop. I wasn't too thrilled about the course at first, but it ended up being great because after the 7 miles, we took a short break, ran to the bathroom, ate 1/2 banana, and kept on going.

This was honestly one of those runs that I really don't remember. There were some hard parts, some easier parts, some parts that I thought felt looooong, but honestly I remember looking down to see our distance and we were already at 10 miles. That felt wonderful and I knew we could get through the rest fairly easy. Maybe it was my caffeine in my Gu Chomps, but I felt pretty good as we were coming into Country Park and that is normally the part that I hate.

I tried to push it at the end, but didn't feel like I had that much left. My right hip was hurting and my feet were a little sore, but all in all, I felt pretty good. Surprisingly, I wasn't as exhausted as I expected to be when it was all over.

I really stretched out when I got home, rolled on the foam roller, and even used some of my topical ibuprofen on my hip. It all seemed to help, because I really wasn't that sore today (Sunday).

I hope I'm not being "that girl" and blabbing the entire time. Some days I feel like I am, so I hope my fellow running buddies will speak up and tell me to shut my pie hole if needed! : ) We did see "that guy" i.e., biker who basically buzzed Liz and also "that guy" who was flopping his feet so hard that it made us all hurt for him. We also saw barefoot guy again and he just really amazes me. It *almost* makes me want to try it once just to see what it feels like, but I think I'll just imagine that one instead.

Oh, and a little coffee with breakfast may = breakfast of champions for me and no tummy issues.

DISTANCE / TIME: 12 miles / 2:14:12
FUEL: Pre-run: Whole Grain waffle with peanut butter and 1/2 banana, water, some coffee, during: Gu Chomps and 1/2 banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment