Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tuesday, August 4

I woke up this morning really not wanting to run. Maddy was up at 2AM and then it took me a while to fall back asleep. I was also just in a funk and knew that I needed to run, but it was the last thing that I wanted to do. I knew if I could just get my ass dressed and out of the door, then I would have no choice so that's what I did.

We talked about routes for a bit, waited for M., our nearly arrested runner that morning, and we were off. In our weekly email from Liz yesterday, it noted how she wanted us to try some pacing once this week. The schedule was 1 mile warm up, 1/2 mile pace (hard, but still comfortable), 1 mile regular/cool down a little, 1/2 mile pace again, then the last 2 regular (I guess).

I think we could have all analyzed the hell out of what to do, and how to do it, but luckily M. said, "let's just run faster" and we were off. The first time really felt good - I think we all looked strong and it was fun. Really ... it was fun. It does feel good to push it from time to time. I think I just let the mental side and those little voices in the back of my head tell me that I can't do it.

Well, trying to get back to a level where I felt like I could breathe was a bit harder. Perhaps I went out a little faster than I should, but I just felt like I needed to run.

We went out to our turnaround point and I tried not to get too worked up that I was in the back. We headed back into the park and E. suggested that we do the 1/2 mile pacing a little earlier so we wouldn't hit the big hill when we were still in fast mode. That is why I love my running buddies ... they are still smart at 6AM!

We started running fast again, but I don't know if I was really pushing it as hard this time. I still had a hard time getting back to normal breathing when we were done. I think all I could think about was that the hard part was done. The thing about pacing / running faster that I struggle with is that I feel like I'm so much slower after I've pushed it. I know it has to be good to break it up and do something different, but I have to wonder if it's better to just stay at a consistent level.

GA is also feeling very loooooong lately. Always on the return run. It did today. I finally got to a place where I felt like I had more energy, so I just went for it. Saw my friend, L. and talked with her for a bit. We were at a totally different pace, so I had to move on. It was awkward because I was kind of turned back towards her.

So, I finished and I was faster than our usual runs. Whoo-hoo!

I think more than anything, I think I need to just run and keep my head out of it. I can sit there and tell myself that I'm tired, I need to go to the bathroom, I think my blister hurts, but it does no one any good.

Just run.

TIME / DISTANCE: 56:13 / 5.19 miles / 10:49 pace
FUEL: A few PB on whole wheat crackers, 1/2 banana, water

No comments:

Post a Comment