Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thursday, July 2

Today some of us had decided to do our long runs since this weekend is the 4th of July.  Not that I'm going anywhere or have any particular plans, but it just sounded like a better plan to run with the group then to risk running 8 miles on my own.

There was a pretty large group who all stayed together, but some split off to run a shorter route, so Maria, Emily, and I ran  together.  The weather was nice and cool, low humidity, made it a perfect morning for running.  We won't mention scary homeless guy that we saw in the woods near GA having a little "me" time this morning.  Oh, I hope he's not there the next time we go.  Probably harmless, but still a little unnerving.

We made it over to the Greenway and into Bur Mil park in what seemed like no time.  I think all of the good conversation made it easier and we were keeping a good, steady pace.  The lake was so pretty this morning when we were crossing it ... even a bit of fog on top.  Ahhh, so nice to have a great view and some inspiration.

We did have the few hills that are pretty steep, but they didn't seem so bad.  We got to 3.5 miles where we were going to turn around, but we all made the decision to keep going up the path since it was coming to an end anyway.

We worked our way back toward Lewis Rec, took our Gu and that was nice to have a bit of energy.  One of the hills did seem a bit harder than the first time, but we were OK.  

Before I knew it, we were back on GA and Emily asked me for the distance and we were already near 7.  I forgot to look to tell them when we hit 7, and then we were past it.  I had to do 8, so I was just planning to run around the parking lot to make up the difference and jokingly asked them if they wanted to keep going.

Best running partners ever and they said yes ... so we kept going which was beyond wonderful so I didn't have to do the last bit by myself.  I was still feeling good, but it's so much easier with someone else.  We had to go right to the cemetery gate to make it to 8.0 and that is exactly where we stopped.

I could feel a little bit of pain in my knee by then, so I was glad to have made it to 8 miles.  I really didn't feel winded today, or wheezy and it was just one of those good runs that I think we all needed and I know I needed after my fight with my water belt on Tuesday night.  My back was pretty stiff when we finished, so I think I'll try to do a little extra stretching tonight.

8 miles has always been a huge mental hurdle for me, but today I felt like I breezed by it.  I can remember training for another half and when I had gotten to 8, I barely could get out of bed to do it and I hated every minute of that run.  I think I always mentally dread it, but today it was so enjoyable.

TIME / DISTANCE:  1:30:46 / 8.0 MILES and didn't walk!  Whoo-hoo!
HOW I FELT:  Good ... this has probably been my best long run to date so far this training.
FUEL:  Mini whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, 1/2 of a large banana, water.  I had pizza late last night for dinner and I swear that gave me some extra fuel.
WHAT I WORE:  White c9 tank, Brooks shorts, Nike running hat, new Brooks shoes.

 

1 comment: