Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday, June 27

Today I ran in the Freedom Run 10K. We had several from our VB 1/2 group who were running, so we were all able to meet up at the start.

The race didn't start until 8AM (never thought I would be saying that), but with really high temps, I would have loved a 7AM start or even earlier. Someone told me that it was already 77 degrees when we started the race. HOT.

I ran with ET and MM, so it was nice to be with my "regulars." We actually had started out pretty fast (or pretty fast for me) ... I looked down at the Garmin to see a 9:49 pace. Whoops! We slowed down to a more manageable 10:30ish mile.

I knew early on that this race was going to be hard. I really think it was the heat, combined with a few hills. I really think the heat was harder to deal with than the hills, but what can you do about the heat? I felt pretty strong until around mile 4 when I walked for a bit. I really didn't want to do it, because I always have a hard time not stopping to walk again and again after that initial break. I should just "allow" myself to take walk breaks, but mentally, I just feel like I'm failing. OK, so maybe that's a little harsh, but after all, I signed up to run the race, not walk it.

So, all in all, I finished in 1:09 and my Garmin said the course was 6.27, so right around a 11:09 pace, which is what I have normally been running, so I was pretty pleased. I did look up some of my old 10K races that I ran in 2006 and 2007 and I ran both of those in 1:05. I Gallowayed both of those, so I was disappointed that I couldn't have done this was faster. But, that race is pretty much flat with only one hill and it's in April, so not nearly as warm. Oh well, I guess a new goal for me!

I can't believe that this coming Saturday, I need to run 8 and I have a feeling a good amount of our group will be celebrating the holiday and not run. What's a girl to do?

DISTANCE / TIME: 6.27 / 1:09
HOW I FELT: HOT and not in a sexy kind of way
WHAT I WORE: Brooks shorts, c9 running top, new Brooks shoes, Nike running hat
FUEL: Mini whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, water


Thank you, Jules for the pictures ... gotta love FB stealing!! : )

We finished! I love that I have a piece of yummy bread in my hand!


Coming in at the finish

Pre-race when we were all clean and happy!

1 comment:

  1. steal away my friend! :) Glad I got some shots!

    Congrats again...and I KNEW that course was longer than 6.2. My Garmin said 6.3.

    ReplyDelete